Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy?

Some of my favorite things really are the simplest. I like books, simple. I like poetry, simple (sort of). I like hot apple cider and beaches when it’s too cold to go swimming, simple. So many things in life are simple and I think that sometimes we overlook the small, simple things while rushing ourselves to the bigger picture, the details are what are important; they make the picture.

Just imagine a painting without any detail or a story with only the main elements and you’ll soon realize what I’m on about. You all know the saying ‘stop and smell the roses’ and in life it’s very important (to me anyways) to do just that. I try my best to stop and smell even the smallest of roses; I take my pleasure from life from noticing the things that others omit in their wanderings. It sometimes amazes me of all the small wonders people miss out on when doing even the smallest tasks.

You’ll soon see as you start to pay attention to the little things that everything out there really is made up of the smallest and simplest things, so take the time to smell the roses, to notice the small detail in the everyday, mundane things you do. Just as I can enjoy a travel mug full of hot apple cider on a beach in November while reading an anthology of poetry I urge you to look at all the small things and take root in the things that make you the most happy. If you can learn to find the simple joy in the small everyday things you do you’ll unlock one of the biggest secrets of life. If you haven’t already figured out I’m talking about happiness you need to do a bit of work in finding small things that make you happy and then read this over again so you can relate.

Until next time,
Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment