Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

What If?

Hi, I plan on this being a short post but my gut tells me otherwise.

I want to start with one of the biggest questions out there. This question can literally (with a little manipulation) be used in any and every situation. The Question is 'what if?' What if I died tonight? What if she doesn't love me back? This simple little question can completely turn your life upside down. You don't even need the word 'what' in there, just 'if'. That simple two letter word can be applied to anything and everything, even Dimitri Martin wrote an entire show called 'If I'. (It's very good, you should try to check it out, I believe it's on DVD.) By living your life constantly asking yourself 'what if?' one of two things will happen. One-you'll drive yourself mad, Or two-you'll realize all of the things you might be missing out on and find a way to fit more in.

The simple fact of the matter is that if you knew you were going to die tomorrow you would probably do something different today. What I mean by 'constantly ask yourself "what if?"' is that you should always be looking for one time things ('do I go to the movie that'll be playing again tomorrow night or do I study for a test in a course I'm not doing too well in?' sort of stuff). I know you can't live your life doing the most extreme thing every time you get the chance to but you can't live your life in a shell.

I feel very strongly that you have to be proactive in your life to make it a good one. You have to plan for the future but don't forget that you're living in the moment and what happens in the moment is sometimes more important than the future (at least for small periods at a time). Think of it this way, if there is no 'in the moment' there will be no future, but if there is no future there will soon be no more 'in the moment'.

I challenge you to keep the 'what if?' question in your head as you go out in the next couple of days. I'm not saying you should do anything different (yet), just that you should keep your eyes, ears and mind open to the other possibilities that are out there, they may surprise you. Who knows, some of these possibilities might even be better than what you had originally planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment